Wednesday, September 4, 2013

This Family: Wrapping Up our CA Vacation '12

DISCLAIMER:  Look what I found!  For some reason this never got published...  I remember jotting down the majority of this blog entry shortly after that fabulous vacation - I remember I wanted to still do a little bit of editing - and then I just plain never wrapped it up.  I was thinking I should just delete this.  But I just can't.  So -- here is the last CA Vacation '12 blog - now published.  Hopefully this is a "gentle re-entry" into keeping this blog somewhat updated and current.  There is LOTS to catch up - but I'm not holding my breath for an exhaustive recap of the last 13 months...!

--------------------------------

We simply had the Vacation of a Lifetime...

It's been almost a week now since we got back -- so I want to jot down a few reflections looking back now on this crazy/wonderful Family and Trip:

Both Martha and I had Family Vacations out to California when we were young - and they were both extremely memorable.  We still remember some of the sights and places we visited - but what still lingers as a permanent blessing, really - is the time we shared together as Family.  I am praying that OUR CA Adventure will be no less the same in the years to come...

I am so VERY thankful that our Clan travels well.  We always have.  Back when our kids were young, I remember we would strategically drive through the night to get to places where we had to go a considerable distance.  They just slept all the way there!  But as they got older, they got used to being on the road without having to be asleep. We would listen to fun music, play silly word games or just talk - and we always had a box full of books, toys or other things/gadgets to help pass the time.  A lot of families are intimidated by "ride" part of a long trip.  Again, I am SO grateful that our kids have rarely complained - on the contrary - traveling together is something we have all learned to look forward to.  May that never change...




Lydia Ann
She is always playful and sweet and giggly - and stubborn - and FUN!
She was the driving force behind these "Mustache Sunglasses" that we are all wearing
in these photos.  She and Joel happily share - for the MOST part - the back seat in the van.  They have a good thing going back there - with books and videos and games.  We are so grateful for her energy and enthusiasm for the "small and not so small" things in life...!



Joel James
Our self-proclaimed "Mr. Total Package".  On this trip he was also "Mr. Bubba Cup",
as it was his job to fill with ice and water our Bubba travel mugs.  Joel never stops surprising us with "unique" insights and commentary.  We love him - and life without him would be unbearably boring.  We all still contend that one day we will simply be known as:  "Joel's Family"...!


Rebecca Linnea
Becky is a beautiful mixture of passion and sensitivity - of fire and feelings - of courage and quietness.  I know that there is MUCH going on in her heart and mind.  She sees colors that the rest of us don't.  She notices words and music that the rest of us don't hear.  I really love this about her.  It is SO GOOD for me to be her Dad.  There is much I am learning from the Beckster - and more wonderful and surprising lessons are sure to come... 


Joshua Paul
Hard to believe we have a High School Senior now!  This could very well be his last
Family Vacation with the rest of us.  Joshua is an amazing young man.  I have been saying this for some time now:  I am beyond BLESSED to have a son that I can completely and  fully TRUST - with my life and everything I have!  VERY few fathers have the privilege of saying that about their 17 year old son.  I look forward to this year - with a mixture of deep joy - and whatever the opposite of that is...


Martha Ann
She is really the Glue in our Family.  I will never be able to say enough as to how
great a blessing she is to me - and to our kids - and to absolutely  EVERYONE she interacts with personally and professionally.  There is not enough blog space in the universe to write about how much I love and respect and am blessed by this amazingly steady and dependable woman.  Do I really get to be her husband??  Astoundingly - God said, "YES...!!"  (But I know He's also winking at me and saying, "Don't mess this up, OK??")



Q.
Yup.  Loving this ride.  Trying really hard not to blink.  I am praying that there will be very little I miss as this family continues our journey forward.  God has - and IS - blessing me beyond any measure I could ever have hoped for...


No comments:

Post a Comment