Saturday, October 22, 2011

An Encouraging 5K Morning!

My son Joel and I just ran a 5K race this morning:  The Grant Wheeler Faith 5K.  I believe it was the 10th Annual running of this memorial event.  It was a perfect morning to run!!

Grant Wheeler was a young husband and father that was killed in a tragic car accident.  He lived his life in such a way that two of the most important things in his life - running and his faith in Christ - are STILL being celebrated a decade after his passing.  Apparently he also was a top notch and enthusiastic encourager...

I have recently discovered running.  It is so much more than a sport.  It is a culture.  I have actually found it to be a counter-culture!!  In a world so filled with discouragement and giving up and settling for not giving or being your best - running has given me glimpses of how individual and community effort are supposed to click and work together.  And encouragement is at the very heart of the running community...

I will be writing quite a bit about running in future entries - but for now I just wanted to share that is was a fantastic morning to run:  with my son, with a few good friends, with 250+ other runners, with people cheering you on - with a mission to remember and honor the memory and life of Grant Wheeler...

I felt so encouraged this morning - and maybe because of this -- I ran a personal best!!

Thanks, Grant.  Your encouragement lives on...

No comments:

Post a Comment