Thursday, October 27, 2011

Lunch With Rob

Just had lunch earlier today with my ol' friend Rob.  He is someone I met during my first few weeks in Cedar Falls - when I first moved here way back in Oct. of 1987.

What a gift to still be good pals after all these years.  There is something to be said about still being in contact with someone that has known you for a long, long time.  Rob knew me when I still had some hair - and I knew him when he was sporting a mighty sharp mullet!!  (Sorry Rob!)

We had a nice lunch at Maid-Rite.  We had a free and easy discussion around our busy schedules, our children, the Chicago Cubs - and what cars we'd still like to buy if we ever had enough $$ to do so!

I walked away from our brief lunch together feeling very encouraged.  As I headed to my mini-van to go home to let the dog out before going back to the office, I noticed my face was smiling.  I simply enjoyed the wave of gratitude I was feeling for his friendship and presence in my life.  You can't fake years.  And I don't think I could really fake anything around Rob - he's known me far too long...

How about you?  Do you have an old pal - a friend that has been one for all or most of your life?  How about setting up a lunch, or making a phone call, or writing a note, or sending a text - just to keep that friendship bridge steady and sturdy.

Don't forget to pray for them.  And don't take them for granted - that is so easy to do.  Some of us are aware that we are blessed with the gift of deep friendship that others never get to experience in their lifetimes...

Rob - I hope you see this post.  Thx for being a great, great friend - for a looooong time now...  I'm glad we have some good stories to share and tell.  God bless you...

No comments:

Post a Comment