Thursday, October 20, 2011

"Wanting what is BEST for others by always GIVING your best."


Just to get things rolling - gotta put a Tommy Emmanuel video on here!

I discovered this guy as I was listening to Pandora.com in my office about three years ago.  I had an acoustic guitar "channel" on in the background as I was working - and then a song played that just stopped me in my tracks!  There was a "No way!  That's beautiful..." moment - and I went to my screen to look at who the artist was - and the name was Tommy Emmanuel.  I haven't been the same since...

There is no doubt I will be sharing quite a bit of Tommy and his music on here.  It was the first time in a long time that an ARTIST and his ART managed to soak its way past my all-too-cluttered senses to reach me in a way that I was moved.  Changed.  Altered.

I had forgotten that good art has the ability to scramble your DNA and leave you completely re-arranged.  And a good artist  has a transcendent gift that can deliver that moment of transformation - even through the internet.  There is no doubt for me that God designed it to BE this way:  Truth is captured through art in a way that is powerful and unique, as it is wonderful...

As an aspiring musician myself, I have always been convinced that there are few things more incredible than a good song - but it had been awhile since I had been on the receiving end of that impact.

This is a song that I got to see Tommy play live about 2 1/2 years ago.  It is called "Angelina".  (This is my concert recording from the front row seats that Martha and I had!)  He has said that it is probably his most "universal' song - meaning it's usually his most requested tune - and the one that seems to consistently touch the most people.  It was written for his daughter.  Hmmm....

There is a line in the intro where he says, "If I had one message that I wanted to give her, it would have to be in this song.  And then I started wondering if this is how God feels about me, and you, and everybody else on the planet.  Here is a Daddy's perspective..."

I believe a Daddy's perspective is deeply wanting what is BEST for his children.  But a good Father not only wants what is best - he GIVES HIS BEST.  Tommy tours roughly 320 days a year - or so he told us.  He has all kinds of time consuming engagements when he is on the road - workshops, meet-and-greets, CD signings - and shows.  And yet - he says that he still practices about 5-7 hours - daily!!  What!?  He is still practicing and perfecting songs he has been playing for years...?  He is arguably one of the best guitarists in the world - and he still practices that much??  Wow...

Tommy not only has a gift -  he is a a good steward of his gift!  He said that evening:  "And you know why I practice so much?  Because I am thankful for what happens in YOU when I get to play for you..."

Well - I am thankful for what happens to ME when I am on the receiving end of his craft and his art...

By the way.  You have a gift.  Just like Tommy.  And it's just as powerful as his.  God is an artist - he crafted and created each one of us.  Because we are created in His image - you ARE an artist too!  You HAVE a craft.  Let that sink in.  Maybe you teach, or you fix things, or you listen well, or you design tractors, or you work a cash register...  God has given you a means to change and re-arrange people at the very core - for the best....

I have learned much from Tommy and the way that he continues to claim and polish his gift.  He is SO generous with what he has been given.  I am amazed at how he does not let it sit idle on the couch - even after close to 5 decades of playing.  I am struck by how hard he still works at it - and also by how he gives it away so freely...

"Wanting what is BEST for others by always GIVING your best."

What an efficiently short and simple statement.  Tommy's still teaching me this - every time I hear a track of his or watch another youtube video or hear another interview or read another article.  I can see how he translates these words to his instrument, but more importantly how he really lives them with his life...

I don't know about you, but these words have the power to take me quite a good ways down a road that I know I REALLY want to be traveling on...

No comments:

Post a Comment