Monday, October 24, 2011

A Soccer Dad on "Healing": A Lopsided Approach?

Josh played in the State Soccer Tournament in Des Moines over the weekend with the Cedar Valley Select Team that he is on.  They played two games before being eliminated.  They won on Saturday 2-1, in very exciting double over-time.  (They played most of that game down a player!)  Sunday they lost in regulation - with a full squad.  And they lost - by a lot - something like 0-10.  The team they played was very, very good!

Two things happened to Josh:  
1) He got pummeled physically - bad enough that he had to come out of both games.  -- The first game he got a “nerve stinger” after diving for a ball - and was not able to keep playing.  He needed medical clearance (from someone other than his physician mother) to be able to play again on Sun.  And in that game he got his foot stomped on to the point where he couldn't walk straight - and again had to leave the playing field.
2) As a goalkeeper - he got pummeled at his position.  If you follow soccer at all, if you are down by 2-3 goals, that means the margin of defeat is pretty significant.  Losing in a double-digit shut-out?  That hurts too.  Uggh...

I gotta say it:  As his Dad watching from the sidelines - BOTH "beatings" were hard on ME too.  You think I'd be MORE worried about how his body got banged up, right?  But the goalie shellacking he was taking "under the posts" was not much fun to watch either...
 
**Big Sigh**  (Of the "Soccer Dad" kind...)

I have been reflecting about the weekend all morning...  

I am finding that a prayer has been emerging around both "health" scenarios - and my son Josh...  

Yes - I know he can get hurt physically.  Anyone that is involved in athletics might have to deal at some point with broken bones, concussions, sprains, etc.,  It comes with the territory.  I get that.  I played soccer myself for two years in college - and I remember playing with a slightly fractured big toe and trying to "outsmart" a quad strain.  

But I also know he can get hurt beyond the body - in his soul.  Scars can linger from bad emotional experiences in the athletic world that can also potentially "cripple" a young athlete - sometimes for life.  How many of us can cringe and groan - right now in this very moment - over a blunder, a shameful sports blooper or a bad performance of ours from several years ago?

I think my "Soccer Dad A-Ha Moment!" this Monday morning is that a healing perspective is often needed - in both areas.  But isn't this tricky?  A broken bone is much easier to diagnose than a broken spirit.

I feel led to PRAY this:  That I might be the kind of Dad that can truly pay attention to healing that my children might need - in BOTH the body and the heart. 

Have you ever been a "lopsided" parent?  Maybe you've been the loud "just suck it up!" parent - or the overly worried "they are playing so rough!" parent.  Or worse - you haven't noticed ANY need for stepping in with your care and encouragement.  Whatever the case - I invite you - if you are a parent - to seek a more invested AND balanced approach toward the well-being of your children.

But remember:  If any healing is needed - it's not about focusing on YOUR physical or emotional issues here.  Tell me THAT doesn't happen, huh??  Pay attention to the needs of your kids.  Your needs can be focused on too - but at another time, please...

I should wrap this up:

No doubt, Josh was banged up in both areas - but God made it easy for us last night.  I marvel at how He seems to arrange all real healing...   

Not by "accident" - Josh had a "Fan Club" yesterday!  Myself, Martha, Joel, Grandma Sally and his girlfriend, McKenzie - we all came down to watch him play in Des Moines.   

This was NOT my idea - I think it was his little brother that suggested the following:  Instead of driving straight home, we went to Hickory Park Restaurant in Ames after the blow out game - and together we had a great meal and some ice cream.  We all sat together and chatted and ate in a big noisy booth...  

Yup - I noticed he was still limping a bit to and from the restaurant - but less so than before.  I also noticed the relaxed smile and demeanor Josh had after his big chicken and ribs dinner and caramel apple sundae.  It gave me an impression that I am able to translate just now - a day later:  

He's going to be fine.  He's healing up in both...



1 comment:

  1. Yeah for Hickory Park, one of my favorite restaurants and for an awesome dad! What a great perspective Q.

    ReplyDelete